Choosing to extract a tooth is a difficult decision and not one that any dentist takes lightly. However, sometimes a situation occurs where, for the sake of your oral and general health, tooth extraction is the healthiest option.
Dr. Jiyung Kang and his dental team know that tooth extraction is challenging to face. We can assure you that at Sunrise Dental of Eugene, your comfort is our priority, and we will do everything we can to provide a stress-free, comfortable procedure.
Reasons for Tooth Extraction
Some cases where tooth extraction is the most sensible option are:
- Extensive tooth decay – An untreated cavity will continue to spread, and if it compromises too much of the tooth to save with a filling or crown, we recommend removing it.
- Infected or abscessed tooth – If a tooth root becomes infected to the extent that a root canal won’t save it, we may recommend extraction.
- Broken tooth – Teeth are incredibly durable and resilient. However, if a tooth breaks off below the gumline, we must remove it.
- Advanced gum disease – As untreated gum disease advances, it starts to attack the jawbone and loosening teeth that will need to be extracted.
- Problematic wisdom teeth – If a wisdom tooth is crowding other teeth, we may recommend tooth extraction.
- Dental trauma – If a tooth has been damaged in an accident, and we can’t save it, we need to extract it.
Dr. Kang performs most tooth extractions here at our comfortable Eugene, OR clinic. In some cases, such as an impacted wisdom tooth, he may refer you to a trusted specialist in our area who is better equipped to handle it.
Comfortable Tooth Extractions in Eugene, OR
Tooth extraction for any reason can be a stressful event, and we want you to know that we are here to support you in any way you need. Your comfort is our priority, so we are pleased to offer sedation dentistry, which involves taking a sedative before you arrive at our dental office.
The benefit is that by the time you’re seated in the dental chair, you are already in a very calm, relaxed, and drowsy state. Keep in mind that if you choose oral sedation, you will need a friend or family member to drive you to and from your appointment.
Once we numb your mouth with a local anesthetic, you won’t feel any pain during your procedure. We also offer blankets and pillows, and if there’s anything else we can do to improve your comfort, please don’t hesitate to tell us.
When we’re finished with your procedure, we will provide at-home instructions for caring for yourself and the extraction site for a smooth recovery.
Please Call Us for an Appointment
At Sunrise Dental of Eugene, we offer preventive dentistry to help you maintain a healthy smile. However, we are not here to judge or lecture you if something goes wrong. We will provide expert dentistry and immediate care, then work with you to achieve a healthier smile in the future.